screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:19:10 +0200

On Jun 12, 08 19:11:35 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> Screen is such a popular and long-standing program, it's especially
> important to have it be actively maintained.  The last release I see on
> ftp.gnu.org is from 2004 :(.

After that date we published updates through openSUSE.

> One immediate issue is that, as a GNU package, the license should be
> upgraded to "GPLv3 or later".  If you don't want to make a new release
> with technical changes now (which would be ideal), then could one of you
> prepare a release simply changing all the 2's to 3's in the license
> notices and changing the COPYING file to the new text?

I'd like to ask the copyright owner *not* to kick GPLv2.
Changing all the 2's into 3's is easier done, than undone.
One downside that I am aware of, is, that it creates an undesired
incompatibility with existing non-GNU code that remains GPLv2.

Portions of screen code where reused in the past in other projects,
one example was irsii, if I recall correctly; another one should be
readline.

I believe GPLv2 wasn't such a bad license that its compatibility
should be abandoned.
We've all enjoyed the freedom of copy/paste-ing GPL code across
projects, so I'd like to show my gratitude by allowing others
exactly the same.

Is this a plausible point of view?

        thanks,
                Jw.

PS: The only other issue I have with GPLv3 is its size. :-)

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_
<V> | address@hidden         creator    __/        _---|____________\/