Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.org

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.org
Date: 22 Mar 2001 18:06:27 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Jeff Bailey writes:
>  > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:57:38PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>  >
>  > >  I agree with all this. Except for the fact that something else than
> savannah
>  > > need to be chosen (savannah is a place where GNU live ;-).
>  >
>  > The GNUs are having friends for tea. =)
>
>  :-) Almost exactly what I thought when I replied. And since Savannah meaning
> is obscure to almost everyone, it would not be misleading. The explanation of
> the name could be as follow.
>
>  "Savannah is the terrain where gnu live. On savannah.org all software is
> Free Software, some GPL, some under another license. The GNU created this
> universe and welcome all the software that has a GPL compatible
> license, and GNU can have friends for tea. Unlike in the real world,
> all software living on savannah.org can become a GNU software by asking
> for it to address@hidden".
>
>  My english is not proper english but I like the idea. There would then be
>
>  - savannah.org == savannah.gnu.org
>  - ftp.savannah.org == ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu
>  - project.savannah.org == gnudist:/home/www/html/savannah/project
>  - mail.savannah.org == mail.gnu.org/???
>  - cvs.savannah.org == subversions.gnu.org
>  - bugs.savannah.org == bugs.gnu.org/???

EXCELLENT!

I like the idea very much.

>  How does it sound ? The workload implied to actually implement this
> is a matter of hours (except for mail + gnats for which I have no
> feedback yet).

For GNATS, it seems that if we want to have something up and running
soon, we will have to settle for a default gnatsweb set up and
eventually work in making the interface, but I think that first we
should help the GNATS and GNATSWEB maintainers to release something
(It's been literally years since the last release).

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso
Support the Free Software