koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:35:04 +0100

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
On 1/19/08, Dorian Meid <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 19.01.2008 um 01:30 schrieb Axel Bojer:
Actually, one more right away -- about the html-encodings :-)

In Norway we don't citate with "word" but with «word». I see many
places, that &quot; is used instead (in English). Do we, then, have
to change ours into &raquo; and &laquo; everywhere, or will « and »
be recognized? I thought of doing a search and replace for all of
them at the last moment before submitting, just to be sure
everything is viewed correctly, or will some of the text be
rendered differently than by html (just text f.i.), so that we will
have to use « and » somewhere too?
Another good question.
Apparently the quotes have been left out while rewriting the html for
CSS.
I suggest to use the q-tag instead of quotes: <q>word</q>
Then most browsers should handle the quotation marks correctly
according to the browsers set language.
For a better control we can specify how the q-tag is handeled in the
stylesheet.
Here is an excelent articel about that:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200411/
quotations_and_citations_quoting_text/
This would also be a great advantage for theme-designers.
OK, I think this is the correct solution, I will also work to fix this for the
3.0 beta.

Perhaps the best, all in all, I agree.

But, there is a problem still there for some:
<q> seems not to be fully supported (especially not in IE, not surprisingly), and therefore will render many strings in a wrong way. And if the *browser* gets to decide, then I can't read the Norwegian opac with for instance an English Firefox without getting the wrong quotation marks, witch I find a pity.

Of course everyone is free to change <q>, then, as with " also, so from that point of view it would not give more work either. And, as a pro, it can be fully automated as the "s in the code declarations won't be influenced by it. But I would prefer to replace either one of those with either the html-code or the utf-8-encoded signs (« and » for us). For everyone using English quotation marks this would really not be any problem any way, so ... :-)

Best regards
Axel Bojer