koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Some questions

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-translate] Some questions
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:47:52 +0100

Hello!

I have some comments and questions concerning the Koha-translation, and hope there is someone out there that could help me :-)

As you see for instance here:
http://translate.koha.org/editpot.php?lg=en&db_table=fr__FR__i__opac__t__prog__v__3000000&view=all&total=956

there are strings like:

$<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"code\" --> <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"value\" -->

But I suppose those are not to be localized at all, but just left as is?
Something like:

$<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"verdi\" --> <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"verdi\" -->
(translated to Norwegian)

would supposedly not work, would it?
But since it is there I assume something has to be configurable, so I am a little bit confused about those (there are more of them, some with some text in between, some without).

Other than that, it would be nice if strings occurring twice could be eliminated, I am thinking of strings like this:

In the staff file:
------------------
Catalogue by Item Type
Catalogue by itemtype
(strings 1447 and 1448)

Other than inconsistent spelling, those are perfectly the same.
Sometimes I see the same strings twice, but one of them misspelled, like this:

Combinaisons de techiques diverses de detection thermique par infrarouge
Combinaisons de techiques en faible emission
Combinaisons de techniques diverses de detection thermique par infrarouge
Combinaisons de techniques en faible emission
(1683--86)
Two of those obviously would have to be removed.

String 1403 is also misspelled:
Cannot Delete Currencey

I also don't quite follow the necessity of string pairs like these:

Couleur
Couleur:
(1179 and 1780)
-- sometimes even more of them, just with * or extra an extra space before : added also, which makes up to four practically identical strings.

with just a small effort in scripting these copies could be erased.
I suppose some hundred, if not more, of the strings could be omitted by correcting such mistakes. I know I can search and replace (Kbabel and Kaider), copy and paste -- or even just use the translation database (Kbabel), but for the poor people using the web interface this is not easy to do. So if someone could take a look at this we could ease the translation job for everyone :-)

Then for some mystic strings that I don't quite understand the meaning of:

Bibs -- Is this a Unique Name and therefore not translatable? I could not find it on Google or Wikipedia.

mc:v or mc-rtype:o
and more of the same sort, are those really to be translated, and what do they mean? No added comment there, that could have helped :-)

moon script -- What is this? I know what Braille is, but moon script?

road type -- We are not talking about cars, are we, so what is it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_road

reconcillation -- What is this according to Koha?

If someone could clear this up, we would be happy :-)

BTW: How do we give credits to the translators? I see some names in the staff-file, but no string like: Translator or similar, like KDE has. Do you add this, and do we then have to submit all the names of our translators to you to get it in? We are a group of four, maybe five translators, mainly because we have two writing languages :-P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian

Best regards
Axel Bojer
Norwegian translator of Koha