koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions

From: Dorian Meid
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:58:49 +0100

Am 19.01.2008 um 01:30 schrieb Axel Bojer:
Actually, one more right away -- about the html-encodings :-)

In Norway we don't citate with "word" but with «word». I see many places, that " is used instead (in English). Do we, then, have to change ours into » and « everywhere, or will « and » be recognized? I thought of doing a search and replace for all of them at the last moment before submitting, just to be sure everything is viewed correctly, or will some of the text be rendered differently than by html (just text f.i.), so that we will have to use « and » somewhere too?

Another good question.
Apparently the quotes have been left out while rewriting the html for CSS.
I suggest to use the q-tag instead of quotes: <q>word</q>
Then most browsers should handle the quotation marks correctly according to the browsers set language. For a better control we can specify how the q-tag is handeled in the stylesheet.
Here is an excelent articel about that:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200411/ quotations_and_citations_quoting_text/
This would also be a great advantage for theme-designers.

Dorian Meid

PS: if you want a quick and dirty solution: If you have encoded your files in UTF8 « and » will work.