koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] Some questions
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:59:59 -0500

Hi Axel,

Some answers to your excellent questions follow:

On 1/17/08, Axel Bojer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have some comments and questions concerning the Koha-translation, and
> hope there is someone out there that could help me :-)
>
> As you see for instance here:
> http://translate.koha.org/editpot.php?lg=en&db_table=fr__FR__i__opac__t__prog__v__3000000&view=all&total=956
>
> there are strings like:
>
> $<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"code\" --> <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"value\" -->
>
> But I suppose those are not to be localized at all, but just left as is?
> Something like:
>
> $<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"verdi\" --> <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME=\"verdi\" -->
> (translated to Norwegian)
>
> would supposedly not work, would it?
> But since it is there I assume something has to be configurable, so I am
> a little bit confused about those (there are more of them, some with
> some text in between, some without).
You're right, the example should NOT be translated, but should be left as
is. It's a failing of the gettext tool perhaps, or maybe we need to edit our
base template in that case to prevent that example from showing up.

> Other than that, it would be nice if strings occurring twice could be
> eliminated, I am thinking of strings like this:
>
> In the staff file:
> ------------------
> Catalogue by Item Type
> Catalogue by itemtype
> (strings 1447 and 1448)
Yes, we should attempt to normalize the strings, sorry ... it's a lot of work,
I know!

> Other than inconsistent spelling, those are perfectly the same.
> Sometimes I see the same strings twice, but one of them misspelled, like
>   this:
>
> Combinaisons de techiques diverses de detection thermique par infrarouge
> Combinaisons de techiques en faible emission
> Combinaisons de techniques diverses de detection thermique par infrarouge
> Combinaisons de techniques en faible emission
> (1683--86)
> Two of those obviously would have to be removed.
Agreed. I can attempt to do this for 3.0 beta

> String 1403 is also misspelled:
> Cannot Delete Currencey
>
> I also don't quite follow the necessity of string pairs like these:
>
> Couleur
> Couleur:
> (1179 and 1780)
> -- sometimes even more of them, just with * or extra an extra space
> before : added also, which makes up to four practically identical strings.
Yes yes yes ...

> with just a small effort in scripting these copies could be erased.
> I suppose some hundred, if not more, of the strings could be omitted by
> correcting such mistakes. I know I can search and replace (Kbabel and
> Kaider), copy and paste -- or even just use the translation database
> (Kbabel), but for the poor people using the web interface this is not
> easy to do. So if someone could take a look at this we could ease the
> translation job for everyone :-)
Agreed. I will attempt to do this for 3.0 beta.

> Then for some mystic strings that I don't quite understand the meaning of:
>
> Bibs -- Is this a Unique Name and therefore not translatable? I could
> not find it on Google or Wikipedia.
Bibs is an abbreviation of 'Bibliographic Records'.

> mc:v or mc-rtype:o
> and more of the same sort, are those really to be translated, and what
> do they mean? No added comment there, that could have helped :-)
Those are 'material category' and are mainly just CCL codes, you can ignore
them as they are used for the internal search API.

> moon script -- What is this? I know what Braille is, but moon script?
This is a real script, identified by the Library of Congress apparently ... :)

> road type -- We are not talking about cars, are we, so what is it?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_road
We are talking about street types (such as 'St., Rd., etc.). It's a
feature in Koha
that you can have authorized value lists for road types.

> reconcillation -- What is this according to Koha?
Reconciliation (yes it is misspelled), is a term that has to do with the current
day's activities I believe (transactions of the day). Someone else might know
better than I.

> If someone could clear this up, we would be happy :-)
>
> BTW: How do we give credits to the translators? I see some names in the
> staff-file, but no string like: Translator or similar, like KDE has. Do
> you add this, and do we then have to submit all the names of our
> translators to you to get it in? We are a group of four, maybe five
> translators, mainly because we have two writing languages :-P
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian
Please tell us who was responsible for the translation, by posting a mail
to this list (koha-translate). I will add the credits to the 'About'
page for the
Koha 3.0 beta (I already have a list of some of you, but obviously if you want
credit you must identify yourselves as a contributor :-)).

Thanks again for these excellent questions, let us know if we can help further.

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS