Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:16:56 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:
Oh sheesh.

I happen to think that "careful use" is a complete solution to this
problem.

It really, really is just like filenames used as Java classes, header
file names, tar file contents, etc.

It's not. Placing category names in a global namespace means that no one should ever use a name that differs only in case from any other category name that anyone has ever used. Which is quite difficult to do, especially with common terms like "test", "devel", and "hacking".

With the filenames in headers, etc, the user can intervene to solve the problem.

Personally, I think people who use capital letters in their filenames are wierdos, and I'd be happy if this was solved by requiring that all category/branch names are lowercase.

If you put on blinders and try to think about this problem in
isolation then, yeah, you can spend endless afternoons dreaming up
application level solutions when really, a simple user-level
_convention_ is as close to a 100% solution as you're going to find.

I don't think that's very close to a solution at all.

The name mapping you suggest is cute but, of course, immediately falls
apart as soon as encountered by a tool that doesn't use vu_.

Not "immediately". The mapped names would be the same as the filesystem names, unless there was a conflict.

In other news -- I really shudder to think what happens when case
insensitive file systems meet Unicode.  Suddenly you're talking about
embedding a fairly complex case canonicalization algorithm based on
relatively huge data tables in every kernel and application that might
ever need to compare a filename.

Yeah. Apparently win32 does support Unicode for filenames, though. Consider that some languages have letters that exist in only one case.

Aaron