hidden forbidden areas for buildings (was: [glob2-devel] Rewrite and dis

From: Joe Wells
Subject: hidden forbidden areas for buildings (was: [glob2-devel] Rewrite and disappearance syndrom)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:14:17 +0100

"Leo Wandersleb" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > The feature should be removed.
>>
>> Sure.  But then some other mechanism is needed to solve the same
>> original problem that the hidden forbidden areas were designed to
>> solve.  What do you suggest?
>
> the use of forbidden area mechanisms is without alternative when it
> comes to buildings.

No forbidden area is needed when the building is not changing size.
(Nonetheless, the implementation currently uses one.  For example,
when repairing.)

> The only question is, should there be a hidden forbidden area before
> we build or should we build on top of own units so they leave the
> building due to the forbidden area that is connected with the
> building.

See this message for a detailed proposal that also solves many other
problems:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00781.html

> Now when units are built or released from a building we iterate over
> the border of that building to release them.
> Why not simply check if the center of the building is occupied and
> if not put it there?

So you would allow workers and warriors to walk on top of existing
buildings?

> Maybe even put globs on top of others.

You would even allow workers and warriors to walk on top of other
workers and warriors?

--
Joe