Re: [glob2-devel] hg problem

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] hg problem
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:37:25 +0200

> I've done an error with mercurial. I wanted to add the new Greek translation
> someone sent me. I thought my rep was at tip of master branch, but apparently
> wasn't because I ended up created a new branch, also named master,
> originating from Erik's bugfix branch.

It looks correct.  Your changeset is the child of the former tip in
the master branch.
It does not originate from Erik's branch.
Maybe I am doing something wrong.  I don't see a bugfix branch.

changeset:   2990:c75c2506752e
branch:      master
tag:         tip
parent:      2983:66ec5c0e5140
user:        Stephane Magnenat <stephane at magnenat dot net>
date:        Thu Oct 11 14:39:27 2007 +0200
summary:     Added greek translation, thanks Anastasios Pingios

changeset:   2983:66ec5c0e5140
branch:      master
parent:      2981:570065f96496
user:        Kieran <address@hidden>
date:        Mon Sep 10 10:32:33 2007 +1200
summary:     making same changes to master branch as I did to beta1 branch

> Can I merge this latest changeset only in master?

You can merge it with any other changeset.  I forgot what the
branchname will be after merging, so you'll have to try what will get
you the desired result.  Probably the name of
your current revision will be kept.

> It might be me, but mercurial is tricky to use because it's never obvious if
> the basic abstraction is the changeset, the parent/child relation or the
> branch.

Branch names have almost no influence on mercurial, if they are not
used explicitly as a command line parameter. The only exception that I
can think of is: In new versions of
mercurial "hg update" updates to the most recent revision in your
current branch - unless
you use the parameter "-r <name>".

Think in terms of panent/child relations.  It fits mercurial really well.
--
Kai Antweiler