[glob2-devel] hidden forbidden areas, successful game counter for releas

From: Joe Wells
Subject: [glob2-devel] hidden forbidden areas, successful game counter for releases (was: Rewrite and disappearance syndrom)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:57:53 +0100

"Leo Wandersleb" <address@hidden> writes:

> * globs get trapped by invisible forbidden areas (place forbidden to
> force recalculation of forbidden gradient)

Do you think this is the problem, that the forbidden gradient is not
being recalculated properly when the hidden forbidden area are
removed?

My suspicion up to now has been that the problem is that hidden
forbidden areas are sometimes not being removed at all.

I knew already that placing ordinary forbidden areas could sometimes
solve problems caused by the hidden forbidden areas, but I have not
been sure why this can solve the problem.

I still recommend making the hidden forbidden areas not be hidden.

> Only release what really works and test everything else for at least
> 100 games. with only 3 games played per week that takes long but
> still i would vote to have an official game-report counter to the
> next release with strict feature freezes. and 100 games is not a
> joke. if we want 100 games to be played per day some day this is
> only a few games.

I like this idea of requiring a certain number of games to be played
before releasing.  Only successful (no crashing or serious bugs) games
should qualify.  I like even more the idea of an automated counter of
some sort.  For non-network games (like I play) the game could offer
to fill out a web form to increment the counter.

I think it is good to count successful network games because the
testing that I have done only finds bugs in non-network games because
I don't play in network mode (my laptop computer is far too slow to
even consider this unless someone finds a way to double the speed of
glob2).

--
Joe