Re: SSO (Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: SSO (Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:18:23 -0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] I don't really see NIS as a solution to
> single sign-on (doesn't it just share account information? I'm thinking
> about systems where the auth is directly integrated into services - I'm
> not sure anyone is really working on NIS in that regard are they?).

What services do you want it in?  You can do some pretty smart stuff
with NIS, although I'm sure LDAP can do it too if you have the patience.

>> Just stick it in the automounter map if it is important enough ;-)
> You can do, but it's still a pain - you have to update all your maps
> whenever the server name changes, for example. [...]

Huh?  You put the automounter map into the directory service and let
it update from there.

[...]
> It really needs to be built into the core of distros though. It's a lot
> harder than it currently needs to be.

Probably true, yes.

> [...] People often say that Free Software developers are
> unable to co-ordinate and move in one direction - GNOME HIG is a
> fantastic case against that argument. [...]

Oh yeah, it was really nice when GNOME caught up with GNUstep and got
its own UIG.  One day they'll even stop making new versions of the core
toolkit that injure users of the last version ;-)   (Yes, I know GNUstep
has a lot to do still...)

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."