Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:12:30 +0100

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:50:16AM +0100, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> I remember hearing sometime back that Sage and few other software was
> certified by the IRS (?).

You don't have to be certified in this country IIRC, although there are
a number of trade organisations who do certify things. However, if you
don't have the money to get certified you probably aren't capable of
writing a ledger system people would use - keeping up with tax changes,
for example, is pretty tough.

> Does anyone know of any good GUI front ends for Debian package
> management systems?

The design of the Debian package description almost certainly precludes
one. You can get something like aptitude (or similar with pointy clicky),
but I wouldn't call it easy to use.

> Support companies could do remote administration/maintainence and save
> lots of money in the long run and look forward to developing better
> solutions than attending to another 'VBS virus' or 'missing .dll'

Let's remember support is the main cost in accounting packages of any
note. Subscriptions to changes (i.e., tax updates), ongoing software
support, etc. In any reasonable size SME (i.e., MEs :) the main cost
of the ledger is the ongoing cost. That's where people make their money.

>> (re: windows installations)
> I disagree.

I agree with your disagreement ;) If people held Windows to the same standard
that they hold Linux to, Windows would not be suitable for the desktop
either. There are only two factors in it's favor:

i. hardware manufacturers are willing to write drivers for MS (however,
these drivers are invariably crap)
ii. software producers are willing to write software for it

Personally, I think GNU/Linux is *easier* to install and use than Windows.
I don't think it is as featureful yet - single sign-on is but a dream at
the moment, and there are no network file systems as nice as the Windows
stuff yet - but I'm not sure these are issues that might prevent an SME
using it.

Cheers,

Alex.