Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:22:10 +0100

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:15:35AM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Single sign-on in Unix/Linux is pretty easy, more so in these days of
> PAM, what are you blathering about.

I'm sorry, it's not. Most distros are not setup to do it, the PAM ldap
auth module is not obvious to setup, etc. It requires special utilities,
and I don't know many people who have one setup.

> Have to say I'm not up on file systems, NFS was always adequate for
> properly secured networks, since NFS is virtually transparent, I'm not
> sure what features of Windows networking you are referring to.

Flexibility. The ability to use a network share without having to mount it.
NFS with Kerberos is also another dark art.

> By all means point out where Free Software is worse, but I think you
> don't have much experience of deploying big Unix networks

And on what basis do you say that?

Cheers,

Alex.