Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Roozbeh Pournader
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:18:37 +0330 (IRT)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I doubt that back-compatibility was high on Microsoft's agenda when
> they designed this.  Each new version of Word is incompatible with
> previous versions, precisely because of changes in the Hebrew
> support.

I didn't know this. I'm now in doubt of everything. I remember now that
the Bidi behaviour of important characters has changed between different
versions of Unicode (guillumets for example), that rendered the existing
text problematic. The guillumets were changed between 2.1.5 and 2.1.8 or
something like this.

Perhaps they're doing this to stop us from developing our good programs :)

> I meant numbers, yes.  But if that somehow doesn't cut it, then I
> don't see any disaster in defining a new type.  I suspect more
> characters which are now neutral will need to be moved into this
> category, to DTRT.

Ok. The Unicode bidi algorithm has always scared me, you know. Alterations
seem worse. They are really bug-prone.

--roozbeh