Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:05:36 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> > Something that is easy to spot and easy to fix should not scare us, I
> > think.
>
> You were talking about introducing new types.

Only if existing ones don't do the job.  Before introducing new
categories, we should try moving characters into another existing
category.

And introducing a new category is just a matter of adding a new
enumerated type, and changing the table(s) accordingly, that's all.

> And you're talking about
> using common sense to fix the bugs. Because of the difference in common
> sense of bidi users, even when they use the same language, they expect
> difference things.

My experience suggests that it is very easy to come to an agreement about
how certain text should be displayed, at least in Hebrew.  And if we find
hard cases where agreement is impossible, we solve it the Emacs way: by
introducing a user option.