Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 08:25:26 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

>       NAR DNA "it is a car" DIAS EH
>                 2           1
>
> on her display, places the cursor between 'r' and '"' no 1, and types the
> exclamation mark. The editor really has
>
>       HE SAID "it is a car" AND RAN
>               1           2
>
> in its logical buffer

You are assuming that the display swaps between the two quote
characters.  This might not be so, depending on how the display works.

> If the source is a file encoded in Unicode, 8859-6 or logical 8859-8,
> Unicode algorithm should be applied, to get the text displayed the same
> way everywhere.

There are several implementations of the Unicode algorithm, and they all
differ in some hard cases.  So the goal of gettin the text displayed the
same everywhere seems to be impossible to achieve anyway.  Given this, I
don't see any disaster in having another slightly different implementation,
provided that we think it is a better one.  (And it really isn't so hard
to come up with a better implementation, believe me.)

Of course, strict conformance to UTR9 should be a user option.

> About cutting and pasting, it really depends on the OS, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.  I was talking about cutting and pasting within Emacs,
where the OS isn't involved at all.