Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Roozbeh Pournader
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:42:15 +0330 (IRT)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Only if existing ones don't do the job.  Before introducing new
> categories, we should try moving characters into another existing
> category.

It's the same thing Microsoft is doing :( We had problems with their
"slash" behaviour, a recent discussion on the Unicode mailing list. And
they were claiming that they were changing its type from Unicode bidi to
ease it for Persian users!!! And one fan of Microsoft had even sent that
to Mozilla guys asking for the same behaviour as Internet Explorer
(without any discussion on mozilla-i18n).

> And introducing a new category is just a matter of adding a new
> enumerated type, and changing the table(s) accordingly, that's all.

I don't see it as only changing the tables. Code should be added to
support the new category.

--roozbeh