NetBeans free Forte works (was Re: Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!

From: pauljohn
Subject: NetBeans free Forte works (was Re: Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:29:46 -0500

James wrote:

> If you are keen on using Forte then I strongly sugest you take a look at
> www.netbeans.org
>
> NetBeans is the open source comunity version of Forte, sun take netbeans
> releases as the core for Forte every six months or so, but the Netbeans
> version is always more up-to-date.

Thanks for the tip. I have confirmed that I can open, compile,
debug, and run a swarm program within the netbeans  setup(from
the NetBeans-release32.tar.gz package).  I still think Emacs
with JDE is better, but I can bet a lot of swarm users are going
to like this kind of setup.

I did this in RedHat Linux. It works pretty much the way William
T. Stockhausen described it for the Forte kit on Windows.

Before entering the netbeans ide, I found these environment
settings necessary:

export SWARMHOME=/usr
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/swarm/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(Marcus, why is that last step necessary?)

I start netbeans with:
/usr/local/netbeans/bin/runide.sh -jdkhome /usr/loc/jdk1.3

As William said, after entering the ide, they have a File |
mountFileSystem thing, where you choose jar and mount swarm.jar.

Then open a java file in a swarm directory. I was kinda confused
because it asked me about what "package" my file belonged in,
but I clicked around until I found a "none" button.  (Finding my
way around this ide would take quite a while...) After that, I
could compile, execute, and debug my program.

The environment settings and the mounted jar files take care of
what javacswarm is doing for you, so java can run the program in
the ide.

I did not have to specify anything about external compiler
settings.

ON a PIII-667mhz system, it takes a good 20 seconds for the ide
to open, so don't be impatient.

pj
Dept. of Political Science
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn