Swarm on MacOS

From: SCHREIBER,DARREN MATTHEW
Subject: Swarm on MacOS
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:40:40 -0700 (PDT)

Due to a complete hard drive crash, I have lost the Linux partition I was
using to run Swarm on my Mac.  The good news is that the consequences of
the crash have mostly just been inconvenience.  But, one of the
inconveniences is that I now don't have a way of running Swarm at home.

I will be getting a free replacement hard drive in a while since the other
one was under warranty.  But, now I need to figure out what to install on
this new hard drive so that I can run Swarm again.

As I see my options they are:

1.  Virtual PC - which I will probably reinstall since although it is slow
it is easy to go back and forth from Mac to PC.

2.  Linux PPC - I have a version from 1999 and don't know if the newest
version is easier to install or deal with.  The last one caused me some
headaches and took me sometime to get it fully ready for Swarm.  This is
compounded by my lack of experience with Linux and my aversion to really
learning this operating system.

3.  Other Linux PPC distributions -- I know there are some others out
there and I'd appreciate input from others who are using Swarm on Mac and
their success.

4.  Mac OS X -- A while ago Marcus said that there were some problems with
GCC that were precluding Swarm from running.  And, I tried to find info
GCC's status online without success.  So, I am wondering what the current
status of it is and if there was any estimate as to how long I would have
to wait to use Swarm on Mac OS X.  I have a couple of other projects going
that will keep me from coding for a little while, so if I have to wait a
few months that is ok.  But I want an idea of when I might be using Swarm
in OS X.

Thanks for any advice and insight.

        Darren