Re: NetBeans free Forte works (was Re: Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: NetBeans free Forte works (was Re: Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:37:03 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> (Marcus, why is that last step necessary?)
>
> How else do you expect the Forte JVM to find the shared libraries?
> Maybe a complete on-the-fly search of the filesystem?  /usr/lib/swarm is not
> implied by /usr/lib.
Ah. So If my swarm configure statement did not have
--enable-subdirs, then the swarm stuff would get installed into
/usr/lib, not /usr/lib/swarm, and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH magic
would not be necessary.  Maybe people who have a preference one
way or the other could send me a note at address@hidden and
I'll change over if that is what the RPM using public wants.

Mostly, I was curious why the java program requires the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting when objective-c programs do not. After
you answered, it hit me that the executable script in the build
dir of an objective-c program has libtool magic that does all
that stuff, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not needed because of that.

Dept. of Political Science
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn