Forte for java as java IDE

From: William T. Stockhausen
Subject: Forte for java as java IDE
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:27:23 -0400

Hi all,

I'd like to (publicly) thank Marcus for some offline help with a customized
ProbeMap that I'd implemented incorrectly.  The problem was that I was
trying to add class variables declared as "private" to the ProbeMap.
Apparently this is a no-no--that makes sense in terms of the scope of
variables, but for some reason I had the impression that ProbeMaps could
"see" all class variables, not just the public ones.  Won't make that
mistake again! (well, not for a while)

Now to my question.  Is anyone using Forte for Java with java Swarm
programs?  It seems like a nice development environment, although I can get
my source to compile but I can't get it to execute.  I get an error message
on the first line of Swarm-related code that "javaswarm is not in
java.library.path", which I think (?) means that javaswarm.dll is not being
located.  Is there a PATH environmental variable somewhere I can set to my
swarm/bin directory? Is there another way to do it?

I'm running on machines with Windows NT or Windows 98.

A related (I think) question is: must you always run java swarm programs
from a swarm terminal? (If so, can I forget about debugging from an IDE?) Or
is it possible to run the programs from an ordinary DOS box or, say, from an
IDE using java.exe rather than javaswarm?  I've used java.exe successfully
to run a model, but always from inside a swarm terminal.

Thanks,

Buck
*William T. Stockhausen                     e-mail: address@hidden     *
*Marine Scientist                           voice : 804-684-7643      *
*Virginia Institute of Marine Science       fax   : 804-684-7250      *
*College of William and Mary                http://www.vims.edu/~buck *
*PO Box 1346                                                          *
*Gloucester Point, VA 23062                                           *