Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!

From: William T. Stockhausen
Subject: Forte for java as java IDE--Yes!
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:04:45 -0400

Hi all,

Hope the following will be of benefit to someone:

Well, I've figured out how to use Forte as an IDE for Swarm java
programs--you CAN run Swarm java programs outside a swarm terminal (but
then, you probably already knew that). The steps I took were:
        1. add "C:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin" (well, your version of the path to "bin") to
the path environment variable
                in NT, I changed my user variable "path", which I found on the
"environment" tab in the
                System Properties display, to include the "bin" path
        2. In Forte's "Filesystems Explorer", mount swarm.jar as a filesystem
                (right-click the "Filesystems" icon and choose "mount jar")
                This automatically adds swarm.jar to the CLASSPATH, as I
understand it
        3. I also changed default compilation to "External Compiler" in the
Project
Settings, so that compiles were
                done with javac in the JDK

Forte is open source from Sun, and requires that you have the Sun JDK
installed.  The Community Edition of Forte can be obtained at no cost (i.e.,
free) and available by following links from http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/.
You have to register to download the IDE.

In the IDE, I was able to compile my source and run it: much to my delight,
control panels, probe maps, EZGraphs and all popped up, ran and terminated
without errors.  Hopefully, this is the end to a month's worth of shopping
about for an IDE (I ended up rejecting Visual C++).

Marcus, sorry to hear that you've been "locked out" by Sun. Might be worth
dropping them an email.

Best regards,

Buck
*William T. Stockhausen                     e-mail: address@hidden     *
*Marine Scientist                           voice : 804-684-7643      *
*Virginia Institute of Marine Science       fax   : 804-684-7250      *
*College of William and Mary                http://www.vims.edu/~buck *
*PO Box 1346                                                          *
*Gloucester Point, VA 23062                                           *