Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: 14 May 2003 12:27:52 -0500

El mié, 14 de 05 de 2003 a las 12:13, Dan Kuykendall escribió:
> Alex Borges wrote:
>
> > I have to stand beside this opinion. Linux is owned by Linus as well,
> > but there is an independent consortium that manages the brand.
>
> Basicly correct. The consortium was setup to take the administrative
> burden from Linus, but it is under a solid license.
> In the case of phpGW this is not nessesary at this point. If it ever
> becomes a burden to deal with licensing, I would go with a solution like
> they setup.

Exactly

> > If i ask
> > for official permission to use the brand from Dan, will I get it
> > price-free (id be willing to pay handling charges perhaps, but not an
> > actual fee) ??
>
> I think it is required by law that a fee be charges. The reason is that
> if a trademark is not protected, then it can become public domain.
> The fee would be something nominal, along the lines of $10 or less.

Agreed, precisely in the spirit of this kind of development, i
understand the issues involved. You will also have handling expenses as
well, and it wouldnt necesarily be fair to cary them all on your own and
for free, so the fee should also cover that and can shure be agreed upon
with you if we stay in the same spirit of other succesfull oss projects.
I guess the community will decide in the end as well.

> >  This is part of the issue, Linus gives permission almost
> > for free to use the Linux trademark, and he has huge pressure from
> > public statements he has made that he would go out of his way to make
> > the Linux TM accesible to all who wish to use it right (to sell linux,
> > not undermine it or its merits). If i had this kind of security it'd be
> > easyer for us to get funding to, in turn, asign men to stuff in phpgw.
>
> Yes, this is how I will be setting up phpGW as well. It will be
> automatic to anyone who is not trying to use the trademark to hurt phpGW.

This is wonderfull. /me loves the idea, we are on the same wave
then!...:)