Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:12:27 -0700

Ralf Becker wrote:

I always hear the four founders, but I only see the responses from Dan, talking for all of them.

As of yet the other two are probably not aware of the situation.

I would love to hear / read the opionion of Jengo and Skeeter on that points and if they demand eg. infinit veto rights for themselfs.

Ceb's position seem clear to me, as she signed the paper

I havent seen any response from her on the issue. So Im not sure it is so clear as you say.

Back to the thread here:

I still see two big / non-negociable points in the discussion:

1) I see no reason for a veto-right at all. I think the comunity is reasonable and sensible enought to take the right decisions. It does not need a superpower to be able to hold things back on his sole opinion. I'm sure the voice of any of our founders will neither be overheard nor not considered if they raise there voice for any matter.

I can be persuaded to drop the veto rights if it were only on my own behalf. The reason I continue to like the veto rights solution is for the following two reasons.

1) It can help keep the "f" (fork) from being used later.
2) With the ability to have each founding members veto overturned by another founder, it is not absolute. I would abide by a decision against my side if one of the other founders wanted to override my veto. 3) The reason for all four to have veto power is that the ones are not around earned it by past work and I wouldnt want to have it without them. It also allows for the overriding veto as mentioned in #3

2) For me the fsf is an organisation beyound any concern to take care of these and not to take them away from the project or give them into the wrong hands. So what to fear ...

As I have said, I will assign copyright, and will co-assign the domain to them. But I will not assign the trademark.

Dan