Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:13:51 -0700

David Kelly wrote:

This sounds like it is gettting close. But in order to truly have this administered correctly the domain and the trademarks would need to be assigned to FSF. Otherwise, this situation could occur and you could just refuse to live by what you have said.

I am not an unreasonable or dishonest person. I will live by agreements I make. I hve always done so with this project and with all things in my life.

Co-assigning the domain name is not really going to work here as it essentially means nothing ... because as soon as you wanted to pull back control of the domain from the FSF (for whatever reason) you could - by just taking them off the Administrative contract list and changing the passwords etc. So essentially you still control the domain.

Your wrong. If I were to decide later to "hijack" the domain back, I would lose a filed dispute. The admin contact is the one who "ownes" the domain. Also, I would not do this once I agree to it.

From a commercial perspective the major problem that we (as a company) have
with a single person controlling the 'brand' (the name itself, the domain and the trademarks) is that if we contribute large amounts of business resources (e.g. development time etc) to the project then essentially we are building a 'brand' that is controlled by one person. We are building someone elses castle.

So by continuing to hold on to the domains, trademarks etc you restrict the progress of the project, as it is very hard for people like me to secure support from our Board of Directors to invest time and resources into phpgroupware. I am sure there are many other companies out there who are faced with the same situation that ours is faced with.

This is all so false. phpGW has done well for over 3 years with me holding these two things. Linux trademark is owned by Linus Torvalds and there are lots of business investing in Linux development and such.

I can sympathise with you wanting to recieve recognition for your work and I think that is important to setup the structures to ensure that this happens and continues to happen in the future - but at the same time I think that if phpgroupware is going to achieve all that it could be then the 'brand' itself needs to be controlled by a neutral third party like the FSF rather than a single person.

I respect your opinion, but Im not going to give up the trademark. If that means a couple companies dont want to invest resources into the project, then that makes no effect on me.

This would open the doors to commerical entities truly investing in the project and as a result the project would be far more robust, secure and feature rich than would be possible without this support.

Again, this is just a made up worry. Linux is a good example of that.

Dan