Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: 13 May 2003 19:20:29 -0500

Da Maniac! :)

I also have followed the list and until recently was inactive in this
project for an extended period of time.  I "left" the project after
contributing schema_proc, MSSQL support (which still isn't quite there,
but...), the way to implement bo/so/ui for applications, CreateObject,
and maybe a few other things - but those are the important ones.

What made me leave in the end was then endless battle to bring something
new to the architecture that could make it more robust, easier to work
with and maintain, and be more scalable.  I simply grew tired of the
arguments, mostly because the reasons and benefits for what I wanted to
do were obvious to me, but not to others - and that communication
difficulty was frustrating.  I recognize it wasn't 100% or even 60% the
fault of who I was arguing with, but it was none the less frustrating.

So, I lingered on the dev lists, posting here and there (mostly when I
felt the urge to voice my opinion about database related issues).  I've
watched the volume of email from the fab four shrink significantly till
only ceb is left.  Others that have been around a while such as Lars,
Ralf, and Chris still post very regularly and have been with the project
a long time (back to my previous stint even :).  I personally feel these
guys are just as important to this project as anyone else.

As for why I'm coming back, skwashd spoke with me and pretty much told
me that things that needed to get done could get done (within reason I'm
sure ;-).  I had been wanting to beef up the database classes,
schema_proc, and get the schema itself in shape.

In essense, it felt to me like the project has been more free recently
than when I previously was intermittently contributing code.  I'd like
to see more community ownership in phpGW than the past, as I feel
contributors would gain great satisfaction from the feeling of owning
the project.

I understand where Dan is coming from in regards to ownership, but I
don't agree with the stance on trademark and domain ownership or the
veto.  If I were in the same position with my project (inactive
contributions, others actively contributing) I would gladly assign those
intangibles to the FSF.  Especially since it's a GNU project, they
really should own tm, domain, and copyright.