Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:15:27 -0700

Michael Meskes wrote:
I don't see the point. Once again I have no idea who wrote most of the
code and you may own the domain, but the project? Hey, this is free
software. You, Dan, should appreciate that they are discussing things
instead of taking the sources and forking their own project. Granted
they'd need a different savannah name, but so what?

Right. They can fork if they want to. I honestly prefer if they didnt, but I am not in agreement with a structure that does not hold perment positions for the founding team.

The last time I checked your code was GPLed, wasn't it? So why do you
have to assign it away? Besides, I know there was some talk about phpgw
becoming a GNU project. Did this happen? If so I guess everyone had to
assign his code to FSF anyway.

Not all GNU projects assign copyright to the FSF. But everything I wrote is GPL/LGPL'd so can be used by anyone for more GPL work. As far as why assignment is nessesary is a copyright ownership issue. You can research this more on the FSF website.

Actually I don't think phpgw will have enough roots to exist twice. But
time may tell ...

I like the project having a good user and develop base. But I dont want to be kicked out of this project. Anyone who tries would be showing a great disrepect and therefore I will not think of them as worthy of running the project. So I would rather have it fork and have a smaller/developer userbase.

I'm sad to see such a power struggle here yet again.

Me too.