Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Alexander Zangerl
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 19:14:19 +1000

On Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:27:49 -0500, Ken Hornstein writes:
>I suspect the thinking is that since many packages link against cyrus-sasl
>but users might not necessarily USE cyrus-sasl (and certainly nmh
>falls into that category) you shouldn't install those mechanisms
>unless you specifically want to.  But then you get into this situation.
>I'm not sure what the right answer is.

the libsasl2-modules package costs only 260kb on disk (and just one
possible extra dependency: libssl).

i decided that on a system with email client duties having the
modules installed is preferrable to weird, wonderful and hard to
diagnose auth failures;
the freshly uploaded vesion nmh version 1.7.1-11 therefore
depends on libsasl2-modules (and has got the auth= patch).

regards
az

--
Alexander Zangerl + GPG Key 2FCCF66BB963BD5F + http://snafu.priv.at/
> What should I do ......the machine can't find the program iexplorer.exe...
Breathe a sigh of relief. -- Arthur Hagen in no.www