Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Alexander Zangerl
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 06:33:34 +1000

On Mon, 07 Feb 2022 17:31:16 +0000, Ralph Corderoy writes:
[about install-recommends: false]
>I use that option too on APT systems, I expect that's quite common.

so do i, liking my systems to be minimally encrusted
with 'helpful' extras.

>The nmh package in Debian's Testing depends on 'libsasl2-2 >=
>2.1.27+dfsg2'.  https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/nmh

yes, because without that dependency as a minimum
none of the sasl-ish access bits will be built in.

>Ken, Can nmh make any use of libsasl2-2 without libsasl2-modules also
>being installed?

i'll look at that a bit later as well, but ken seems to have hit the
nail on the head with his 'no'...(the rationale for the actual split
into libsasl and the modules package is, well, a bit beyond me.)

>If not, then I wonder if nmh should depend on
>libsasl2-modules instead of, or as well as, libsasl2-2 as otherwise it's
>too easy for Debian users to have a needless installation of libsasl2-2
>which also lures them into thinking all's well..

you've got a good point there; i'll think about it a bit but will likely make
that change.

>If libsasl2-2 is useful to nmh without libsasl2-modules then perhaps
>nmh's package description should mention the extra package which is
>required for authentication in this way.

if the recommends doesn't get raised to depends, then i'll definitely add
that to the next nmh upload.

regards
az

--