Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:27:49 -0500

>Ken, Can nmh make any use of libsasl2-2 without libsasl2-modules also
>being installed?

Mostly the answer to that is "no".

The listed mechianisms there cover the most commonly used ones.  There
are a few other mechanisms in separate packages (specifically, GSSAPI
and OTP).  Most people who would use those should be sophisticated enough
to know to install them.

>If not, then I wonder if nmh should depend on
>libsasl2-modules instead of, or as well as, libsasl2-2 as otherwise it's
>too easy for Debian users to have a needless installation of libsasl2-2
>which also lures them into thinking all's well..

Good question.  I have to confess that I don't really see how cyrus-sasl
would be useful without at least SOME mechanisms supported.  I could
see the logic of not installing GSSAPI, OTP, or some of the other
libsasl sub-packages, but I would have thought the base library would
have included PLAIN.

I suspect the thinking is that since many packages link against cyrus-sasl
but users might not necessarily USE cyrus-sasl (and certainly nmh
falls into that category) you shouldn't install those mechanisms
unless you specifically want to.  But then you get into this situation.
I'm not sure what the right answer is.