Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Tony Stoneley
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 17:35:19 +0000

Bingo! Your question wasn't silly at all.  libsasl2-modules wasn't
installed and installing it cured the problem. post now works
beautifully. Many thanks, and apologies for this lacuna and the time
wasted.

As to how it came about, I can see that the Debian libsasl2-2 package
"recommends" libsasl2-modules, but in default I use
'Apt::Install-Recommends "false"' on the grounds that in general
"true" drags down just too much unwanted dead wood. I guess I will
have to be more careful in future.

Many thanks anyway.

 Tony

--
Tony Stoneley
Preferred email address ajms@cam.ac.uk

Ken Hornstein wrote on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 14:29:30 -0500

I have one silly question: did you install the libsasl2-modules package?
That's the package that actually contains the sasl mechanism for PLAIN
(along with others).  There should be something like "libplain.so" in
a directory close to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sasl2 depending on your
architecture.