Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Tony Stoneley
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:43:25 +0000

Wow! Such swift and helpful response! Many thanks!

Your patch certainly gets me past that hurdle, and I would like to say
that all is now sweetness and light, but alas post now runs on to say

  post: problem initializing server; [BHST] SASL client start failed:
     SASL(-4): no mechanism available: No worthy mechs found

and I'm flumoxed as to what that means. What constitutes worthiness
here? What is it really trying to tell me?  Again, I've tried using
"-sasslmech LOGIN" and omitting -saslmech entirely as obvious
alternatives to forcing PLAIN, but it made no difference. I am still
trying to ferret it out for myself, but time is a problem and I didn't
want to keep you in suspense wrt your patch. Any hint would be more
than welcome.

I did btw peer into the code of claws, and it looks on first sight as
though AUTH= is treated the same way as "AUTH ", and as though it were
just an addition to any subsequent AUTH list. In fact it summarily
treats AUTH<anychar> the same, simply moving its pointer past whatever
it may be, and ORing together multiple AUTHs. Your fix seems equally
reasonable, possibly rather less fraught.

 Tony

--
Tony Stoneley
Preferred email address ajms@cam.ac.uk

Ken Hornstein wrote on Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:24:57 -0500
So, try the following patch.  It worked for me when I tested it against
your SMTP server (well, I don't have an account there, but with this
patch it was able to successfully use the PLAIN mechanism).