Re: smtp authentication problem

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: smtp authentication problem
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 11:08:45 -0500

>I have lately been trying to use the smtp server offered by BT
>Internet, which seems to defeat the authentication of nmh
>post. Sundry other muas are fine, including claws and various
>smartphone apps (ugh). The tale has been slightly round-about, but I
>will try my best to cut to the core and be succinct.
>[...]
>(tls-decrypted) <= 250-AUTH=LOGIN  [Huh? See below.]

Aw, poop.

So, THIS is an old, OLD pre-SASL mechanism.  And while I was vaguely
aware of it, in the instances where I saw it it was always listed AFTER
the standards-based SASL "AUTH" token.  And so ... I guss we get this
wrong.  I'm not sure it's documented anywhere.  A quick Google suggests
that it is around for compatibility with old clients like Outlook 2003.

Obviously, we should just ignore any AUTH= tokens.  Let me chew on
this a bit and see if I can get you a patch.