Re: Discourse

From: Tim's Bitstream
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 08:09:04 -0600

This has been a fascinating discussion bringing up many aspects I would not
have thought about, having no background in mailing list administration or
managing an online forum. The discussion of blocked access in some countries
was eye-opening for me as I did not know that happened.  Blocking access to
music engraving software hardly seems like it could promote any goals for
"international security" in any way.

Personally, I find the email based method clunky and inconvenient, even
anachronistic; if there was a central official web forum, I would
preferentially participate in that instead. Maybe that stems back to my initial
Internet experience having been with Usenet prior to the World Wide Web taking
off.  Thread based discussion with all of the input being available in one
place immediately just makes sense to me.  Email conversations on technical
topics which may have many responses just feel piecemeal to me.  Additionally,
I find value in the archived aspect of web fora in which all the discussions
remain available in a very convenient manner.  Having a system that could offer
both is something I did not know it was possible.

In any event, it sounds like change has been averted and we will continue as we
are.