Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health Mercurial repository at Savannah

From: Cédric Krier
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health Mercurial repository at Savannah
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:18:07 +0200

On 13/09/11 13:06 -0300, Luis Falcon wrote:
> This means that you will need to have archives for each modules like:
> >
> >    trytond_medical-1.3.1.tar.gz
> >    trytond_medical_genetics-1.3.1.tar.gz
> >    trytond_medical_gyneco-1.3.1.tar.gz
> >
> > But you could always have your all in one archives.
> >

> Remember that right now e have 12 modules. Next year, with specialties, we
> should be getting close to 20.

In Tryton we are arround 50 modules and it is not a problem.

> We need to make it simple to the end user. One single file to download, a
> configure script and a setup.py (but we can have also local setup for
> specific modules ). The installation process must be straight forward. Today
> it's quite simple. The idea of a "profile" works just fine.

Sorry but this is not the simple way to do in the Python world.
The simple way for the user to install is to create a Python package and
upload it to PyPI [1].
If we follow the Python recommendations for packaging, medical will be
packaged for al major distributions (as it is the case now with Tryton).

> In order to maintain scalability and development, we have to keep all this
> modules in the same Tryton version and in a single tar.gz .

I don't understand why separate package will be slower to the scalibility or
development.

> In other words,
> every release will have all the modules, and no module will have a different
> version than the others at any given release.

If so why creating modules? Put everything in 1 module if nothing can live
without the others.

> We need to think that this is not like product or accounting . It's a
> Hospital Information System, and most of the modules will be needed at once.

I don't see why it is an issue.

> There is of course room for optimization in the packaging and installation
> process. For example, the installer could download the tar.gz and install
> the modules given as arguments, with their dependencies.

Why needed to download? There is package management for this purpose like
easy_install or pip. They do the job for the user and more they manage
dependencies and provide a way to update.

Having a package for each module will not prevent to have one big archive with
all the packages and a Makefile to correctly install each one.

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi

--
Cédric Krier

B2CK SPRL