Re: [Gomp-discuss] Organization of libgomp source code

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Organization of libgomp source code
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:29:28 +0100

 Let's have one file for each function ?

If for no other reason than that it ! might ! ( IMHO ) be easier for us with our FSF licenses ( or whatever ) to start moving part's into gcc this way.

I like subdirectories, and the one function one file is probably from a time when this made incremental builds a lot faster :-) ...

So I suggets we put related code in separate subdirs, .h files for the subdirs in the topdir , and make a testing directory.

 Shouldn't that cover most things ?

Also are we not rushing a bit on thee implementation side ? I thought we should try to find a minimal subset ? Or shall we implement straight off against the threading lib ? ( POSIX ).

 / Lars Segerlund.

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
Of Biagio Lucini
It can become too messy this way. It seems to me that the implementation
of the various functions does not require many lines of code, We risk to
have many files, each with a few tens of lines. I never likes this
approach, but I guess it is matter of taste. Is there a GNU convention for
that?

My *personal* preference would be to have one .c file for all of libgomp,
given its small size. I've seen a tendancy in gcc, however, toward the
file-per-function organization.

I assume that they uses file-per-function to minimize executable size;
modern "smart" linkers should eliminate that problem, though.

Again, I find the gcc/gnu "rules" rather confusing, given that their
practice does not always reflect written standards. Even within a single
source file, I find conflicting styles and motifs.

We are ready to CVS things. I successfully made a check out, you should
have writing permissions, so you can check in after uploading your ssh1
public key to savannah (instructions on the site) and waiting a few hours
for the cron job to upgrade the database.

Will do.

..Scott