Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OpenBSD madness...

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OpenBSD madness...
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:34:11 -0700

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
   I hope you will use GNU style (2-space) indenting.

GNU style indenting doesn't use 2-spaces actually.  It is a mixture of
tabs and spaces.  If you have 2*8 spaces, then that is replaced with a
tab.  If you have (2*8)+4 spaces, then this is replaced by a tab and
four spaces.  It isn't written in the GCS, but this is what Emacs does
by default which is basically the canonical reference.

You're right although the real reference for GNU standards is

 http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Formatting.html#Formatting

Nevertheless, avoiding tabs is best for reasons that should now be obvious.
I'm sure there are plenty in the tla code, not least in the code I wrote
before I learned of the Emacs setting to avoid them.