Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Having two precommit hooks

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Having two precommit hooks
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:36:18 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden>

    > So, returning to the original message that started this subject,
    > do you think the following hook names are intuitive enough:

    >   * prepare-commit
    >   * confirm-commit
    >   * post-commit

    > I would avoid precommit, pre-precommit and commit names as ambiguous.

I don't like the idea of changing the existing names which, while
perhaps not ideal, aren't really that bad.

How about:

        prepare-commit
        precommit
        commit

? The (made up here) guiding principle being that hooks named after
commands are called after the command completes ("commit") and that
the last hook called before beginning an archive transaction is the
command name prefixed with "pre" ("precommit"), and that if the
command operates on a tree and we want a hook that gets first-shot on
that tree, that's "prepare-" followed by the command name.