Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Having two precommit hooks

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Having two precommit hooks
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:55:44 +1000

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 12:53 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Harald Meland <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> By the way, is there a particular reason why there's a post-commit
> >> hook ?
> >
> > At least automatic near-instant updating of mirrors and post-commit
> > email notifications comes to mind.
>
> Yes, but this could also be done in a wrapper script. I meant "any
> particular reason why post-commit hook is inside tla and not done by a
> wrapper script".

Historically - Tom wrote this up when hook-as-makefile came together as
a concept, and used it for email notifications as the first use, IIRC.

That said, there is a very good reason to have such things in tla...

We've got some important layers to consider with every user-impacting
choice:
a --- custom UI's - fai, xtla, etc etc
b --- the tla UI   |     the tla engine-for-custom-UI's
c --- the semantics

If we put the onus for executing such hooks solely between a and b, then
one of 3 things is likely to occur:
-  every custom UI will either have a different means of specifying
their policy,
- or will have the same means but no common implementation
- or a libtlacustomui will be built - and isn't this what the tla engine
for custom-ui's in b is ?!

Rob