Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Having two precommit hooks

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Having two precommit hooks
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:18:45 -0500

David Allouche wrote:
On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 21:55 +0200, David Allouche wrote:

[...]

Ooops. I mean "tla will not provide support for (2)".

I understood what you meant. :)

Then aba was created as proof-of-concept for such wrappers. Apparently,
Tom's position has not changed, so you should probably turn to fai, the
successor of aba.

A related discussion, that you have not touched yet, is whether there
should be one official front-end to tla, and what should it be.

Well, I would like to switch to fai, but for some reason it doesn't seem to run under cygwin. I had a little bit of trouble with symlinks, though I thought I fixed that.

So I generally use aba.

As far as an "offical frontend", the only one I'm aware of is aba/fai/whatever the new name is.

So I'd call it the de-facto standard front end. :)

Actually, I've used fai on Linux, and I'm quite happy with it. Especially the "fai shell" mode.

I know I have friends who would really like to see more GUI front-ends. (Something like WinCVS, TortoiseCVS, or Cervisia, where you have a path browser, and it will tell you the current state of the files, give you diffs/history, etc.). The closest one I know if is Octopy, but I'm guessing that hasn't really been maintained. Since it is also a python app, it would probably be nice if it was modified to use the nice python wrapper instead of it's own. That way if tla is ever librified, octopy would get it for free as well. And there would be less redundant code.

I would be interested in writing a wxPython gui interface, but I have to actually finish my dissertation, so there is not much of a chance for the next few months.

Are there other front-ends that people use? I know there is quite a few tla-contrib scripts, but that's not really a front end, just a collection of helpful things.

I guess there is xtla, though I think of it as an emacs plugin, not a front end. Simply because I don't know emacs (I'm a vim user), and I don't know what kind of benefit vs time to learn emacs just to use xtla.

John
=:->