Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Having two precommit hooks

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Having two precommit hooks
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Anand Kumria <address@hidden>

    > Basically I think you need four hooks for commit:
    >   - pre-commit-changeset (tree modifications allowed, reformat code)
    >   - post-commit-changeset (no modifications allowed, ?)
    >   - pre-commit (no modifications allowed, run test suites)
    >   - post-commit (send notifications)

    > In some sense you could combine post-commit-changeset and pre-commit
    > together; my thought is that post-commit-changeset could be used to clean
    > up after pre-commit-changeset.  In most cases it would not be necessary
    > but you never know.

I think they should be combined (the existing pre-commit hook is
sufficient).

The rule-of-thumb I'm applying is roughly that you can't state a clear
distinction in meaning between "post-commit-changeset" and
"pre-commit", you can only state a difference in intention (one is for
"cleaning up from an earlier hook" the other for "testing", in your
explanation).  Regardless of what they are for, they mean the same
thing and are otherwise indistinguishable so by Occam...