Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:31:06 +0200

It's cool to discuss about the future of g2! I think that we all have about the same visions of what features could be cool. This means that it is clear for us what makes this game unique, and we would like to see it evolve to specific direction.

Hmm... Isn't this what savannah is ment for? NCT, Nuge, does it help for us to post/discus ideas on savannah?

I think you're right, I should use much more savannah. The only problem of savannah is that you have to go there to see what users wrote there [you don't get it home as it is for a mailing]. Also savannah is not pushing a lot the discussion about a subject [there's no way to structure discussions in threads and so on as there is for a mailing list]. Thus I think it's a good idea to discuss stuff here first and then once ideas are clear put them into savannah [by copy-pasting interesting descriptions and arguments from this mailing].

I personally make a habit of building defense towers anywhere that such an attack could be possible. And really, this can be a lot of fun when you are the one issuing these surprise attacks!

Yes, you're probably right.

Or how about this: A new type of flag that alerts you whenever an enemy unit enters it. That way, you can place one of these flags in an area that you suspect might be attacked, and will have time to react.

Ok, and what about not making yet another new flag, but using the exploration flag? When an explorer in the exploration flag would see something it alerts you with a circle blinking in the minimap [as the current circles displayed in the minimap when making M+click] as well as a text [as for current texts "your warriors are under attack" but it would be something like "warrior alert"]. The exploration flag would have the following options:

alert if seeing
O warriors
O workers
O constructions

The "O" would be buttons, and by default they would be all off to have the same behavior as now.

This feature would also make explorer more usefully, and it would be interesting to have many explorers for one flag, to be sure that there is always at least one explorer, even if one went eating.

I think that I like it too. However, I don't think that it should grow too fast; it is already really frustrating to have the resources grow up where you are trying to build something!

Yes, I agree cut resources shouldn't appear again too fast, but faster than normal growing. This could also stop the "taboo" strategy that consists in cutting down enemy resources by making it much less efficient.

Hey, I just got another idea! Why not have it so that part of the job of the workers assigned to building is to clear the space away! That would REALLY cut down on micro management for me!

I totally agree, but this is probably hard to program. I think that this could go with my suggestion of making more advanced areas [I spoke about a forbidden area but also about a cleaning area]. So if you put somewhere a building, first a green area appears, meaning that workers cut down the resources that are there. Then once there are no more resources there, the area turns red, and units have to leave. Finally, when all units left, the new building under construction appears.

The same should happen for buildings that are upgraded and that need more space.

This would really be a big step toward the idea of a game that does focus on macro-management rather than micro.

Another thing, I think that units convert just a little too easily. Perhaps it should be that when there is one more type of fruit, the units have a %30 chance of converting. When there are two more types, there is a %70 chance. Only when there are 3 more types are they sure to convert.

Yes, but having a feedback of what happens exactly with these unit conversions would be required to better fine-tune it. As always said, it would really be cool to see how many units you converted or lost for each of your opponents.

Also, there should be more types of fruit.

Yes, true.

Gabriel