Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions

From: Emmanuel Eckard
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:55:48 +0200

Thursday 19 August 2004 08.07、Matthew Marshall さんは書きました:
> There are some very good points made here!
>
> > > I think we can do this later (after v1.0)
> >
> > Yes, of course. For now [v1.0] what we need most is:
>
> [snip]
>
> > - a better script that allows cool campaigns and alternative gameplays
>
> I think this is a very big one!  IMHO, being able to easily add to the game
> is something that makes a game popular.

Actually, we need to organise some kind of conference with the developpers and
the people who have written the scripts we now have, in order to design an
interesting campain, and write a good overall story. For the time being, we
have three different stories that could be used, so we need to come to a
linear combination of choice and compromise... (or fall in love with a forth
one, who knows...)

> > > Some other thinks we should worry is managing the defense.  We have
> > > nothink for defense, and the buildings are week.  ONe solution is
> > > making buildings stronger but it will make the game more like the old
> > > games.

this is a problem, because making stronger defence buildings will probably not
result in a military stalemate which would force player to find alternaive
ways of winning, but rather in players resolving all their problems by
"towering" like crazy, which is both militarist and completely unrealistic
(one wins a war through movement, not fortification).

> Or how about this:  A new type of flag that alerts you whenever an enemy
> unit enters it.  That way, you can place one of these flags in an area that
> you suspect might be attacked, and will have time to react.

There could be a good point there. This would make the system (even) more
ineractive as well.

> > - problem: it is also too hard to stop an enemy cutting down all your
> > resources.
>
> This is where I got the idea of setting the attack preferences.

There seems to be some kind a taboo on this subject, actually... I have very
scarcely seen human players adopting this strategy, even though they are
aware of the possibility. Sociologically interesting...

> Another thing, I think that units convert just a little too easily.
> Perhaps it should be that when there is one more type of fruit, the units
> have a %30 chance of converting.  When there are two more types, there is a
> %70 chance. Only when there are 3 more types are they sure to convert.

We need to fine-tune extremely precisely these kind of settings for an optimal
gameplay. I highly suspect people from Blizzard to spend weeks playing like
crazy and adjusting tiny settings to get the final feeling of their games...
No reason for it to be any easier for Glob2 ! :p

--
Emmanuel Eckard
Ingénieur Physicien dipl. EPFL

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\                        - against microsoft attachments