Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags

From: MOA333
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:02:34 +0000

I think we can do this later (after v1.0)
Some other thinks we should worry is managing the defense. We have nothink for defense, and the buildings are week. ONe solution is making buildings stronger but it will make the game more like the old games.

If you look well you have a lot of ways to manage workers: forbiden flags and ares, clearing flags, asinging units to buildings, (there coud also be plantation areas where people could just plant new reosurces for grow, or even buildings for storing resources inside like i said in a post on the forum i think, i dont remember well)

The point is we have nothink for worriors. I look everywere on the map and all i see is wariors in holyday. Even when there is a surprise atack, the game turns from a no deatil management game in a classical detailed game where you should think less and prefer the action to strategy.

On the contrary the attacker has a lot of good points, he has a way of managing the atack with flags that give him a lot of superiority, becuse the persson attacked is surprised and dont have time to bring together all worriors. I used to play starcraft and there the only way to win is to atack, and the best way to loose is to ... atack without defending yourself too, especialy the main builings. the atack should be more difficult than the defense.

what i suggest is to eliminate the micro-management for the defense. this means making defense areas.

I see this defense areas constructed arround the */Defense tower:
/*
The base defense tower should remain the same.

We can make the most advanced defense tower, the one it is now, or even a more big one. Or even a diferent defense tower.

We could call it defense Center, not defense Tower: a place to store resources. It should cost a lot, it should be very strong and have very high defense capabilities. It should store any kind of resources neaded for defense construction, but not neccesary other resources.

We could assing then workers to bring resources to this defense center, diferent number of units for each resource, depending on how much priority we give to each resource.

The point is we control how many workers are working on the defense this way. right now whe defense walls are constructed, you have 50 workers neaded to build a defense wall with some defense towers.

The point is that the woriors should be able to take resources from the defense center and to build with them defense walls. and defense towers.

Example of defense area:

-the defense area is always thin, i mean you are not alowed to construct a defense area that is larger than one thin line. if you want more defense, then you can just place two defense lines, separated by a thin emty line.

- when a defense line is defined all free woriors are working to construct a wall on this defense line, and if the wall gets destroyed by an atack, then they will recontruct it right after the atack without the user nead to place al the wall;

-when the wall is comlete all along the defense line, your worriors should begin to transform the part that is most damaged or that is most of the time atacked; this transformation has two reasons: first, make the defense more powerfull by transforming the wall into defense towers. seccond lets see this image:

you have a defense line like this:

****************************

only walls; you workers and worryors can't pass trough if they nead to atack or to gather resources on the other side , they simple cant pass the walls. now you have the wall lie this:

actualy you have destroyed 6 walls and build two defense towers that will alow your units to pass to the other side of the wall. this is an improvement to the wall. Be sure, no enemy unit will never try to pass there before destroying the two towers, it is suicide.

this should be an improvement that will be automaticaly constructed on the defense line when untis what to pass to the other side or when the wall is completed. then workers could begin to upgrade the buildings.

Of course you should always be able to asign workers to do that more fast, of even build manual defense towers and walls.but this way, you can build walls and towers manualy using workers at the beginging of tha game, then when you build your defense center, you only asign 20 workers to work for the defense, and put worriors at work.... also the defense area will just always try to improve the defense line, by building walls then towers there.

When soemone atack you, you have all the defense ready, and even after the aatack, if the atack was not enaugh strong, you have your defense walls and towers rebuild in 2 minutes. (if you have resources in the defense center of course, you workers are not able to take resources from all over the map)

i think is not dificult, we can use the old areas, (only assure they are a thin line) and as defense center we can just build a new building. this will also be usefulll to store resources for constructing buildngs if all the resources on the map are consumed. There is no nead for editing tools, like in the shaped areas case.... we only nead to asing constructing to woriors, we already have the construction algoritms for the workers.

Oh, and somethink else, if there is no defense center, the woriors will JUST stay on the defense line, wayting for atackers in line and not walking all over the map like they do now.

Otehr improvement: explorers could also be usfull on the defense: they could try to make light on the unseen area surounding the defense line, this way we can see when the enemy is comming.

Other improvement pôssible: areas that are to be planted, imean where workers should plant resources they bring from far. Like if on a isolated island is no wood, you nead some worriors to bring some wod and plant it there. Also you dont want your enemy to atack you with workers and destroy your resources. so resources that are distroyed shoudl grow again from the earth, not from the resources that rest. that way you also have to cut resources more offten, or define clearing flags and let them there. I want the resourcs to be cleared very fast, and also when you clear them i want them to grow as fast as you cleared them. OF course if you place a builind you could have the possibility to cut them completly, but that should be done using a special plant or making the grass sand. yes, if you want buildings then you have to cut the grass also for example, that way you will never have resources again there. but that way you are protected from your enemyes that atack you with workers....