[emacs-bidi] bidi prototype in elisp

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: [emacs-bidi] bidi prototype in elisp
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 02:10:38 +0100

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> I read somewhere that you have a possible implementation in a separate
> stand alone program.  Is it feasible to make this available to other
> people?

Actually, the more I think about it, the better it would seem to try
and implement something like that myself -- for example in elisp.  To
write code which will use an iterator structure like the C code, and
whic accepts a list of either characters or one of the symbols RLE,
LRE, PDF, etc.  Then we could discuss it and see wether it's interface
is similar to the C level, I could test it, I could write automated
test cases, I could start thinking about tables, etc.  And since this
prototype will be written in elisp, it will be very easy to understand
and modify.  All we need to make sure is that it reflects what can
be done in C.

Example:

(let ((input '(?h ?e ?  ?s ?a ?i ?d ?  ?" RLE ?I ?  ?N ?E ?E ?D ?  ?W ?A
?T ?E ?R ?! PDF ?"  ?, ?  ?a ?n ?d ?  ?e ?x ?p ?i ?r ?e ?d ?.)))
  (string (bidi input)))
=> "he said \"!RETAW DEEN I\", and expired."

What do you think?  Would that be useful?

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/