Re: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gopal V <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It seems that I have a very specific problem with
> > trying to create web services and XML interfaces
> > attached to Gpled program. The introspector is
> such an
> > interface, albiet not yet web, for the gcc.
>
> The problem as I can see is of a FreeSoftware
> developer
> providing a loophole for the GPL ..... IMHO it takes
> lot of knowhow to hack gcc to push introspector in
> A company that spends so much time into gcc would
> have
> to at end release their derievative interfaces as
> GPL.
> This means an amount of wasted effort (in economics)
>
> for the company.
No. Not with the CODEDOM interface from Microsoft or
the GXL language http://www.gupro.de/GXL/. They are
interfaces that you can put the data into.

> It is this barrier which we're relying on for
> protecting
> GCC now . That's why RMS is discouraging the efforts
> of
> any FS developer in lowering this barrier......
>
> Also if a company is *so* desperate to use RPC for
> using
> gcc , then what the HECK .... let them do it
> themselves ,
> let's not help them..... etc
Well I was bringing this up again on the front of the
cscc, we have hard decisions to make on that front.
The lessons learned from the gcc may or may not help.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont