Re: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 05:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

It seems that I have a very specific problem with
trying to create web services and XML interfaces
attached to Gpled program. The introspector is such an
interface, albiet not yet web, for the gcc.

The problems involved with the licensing are not the
same as with other types of webservices.

> implementing the protocols.  Plus, the protocols are
> for the
> purpose of interoperability, not execution -- so
> people can
> use them in proprietary ways in a way very unlike
> the
> circumstances for code.
My point with the introspector project is that all
code can be treated as data. Each snippet of code can
be transformed into a fully annotated parse tree that
can be used with very little framework.

> Only in this case, there is no GPL analogue to
> protect
> freedom (for either the Jabber protocol, or for
> remotely
> executing web services [application servers] in
> general, for
> that matter).
That is one of my main points. Thanks for putting it
so well.

One of the ideas that I had was the one of execution
and secure data transfer. A way that the user cannot
execute the method unless they are registered and part
of that registration involves an aggreement that they
will not use it from a non-free software.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont