Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 15:59:33 -0700 (PDT)

> And then, thinking about that, I came upon the
> realization that it would
> be economically stupid to do such a thing (if you're
> a proprietary
> company).

> modify ABC Free Software products functions after
> converting it into a
> linked library, exposing that functionality to an
> outside client.

> GNU GPL.  However, it's not without investment.

> the company would
> still have to develop the proprietary interface to
> those XML-RPC calls
> and thus interpret them.  That's a lot of work just
> to get around the
> GNU GPL.

Wait,hold on.

Maybe I misunderstood you, do you mean that non-free
software cannot use free/opensource XML-RPC
implementations? I think most are at least under the
lgpl or less restrictive.

Anyone can use a tool like XMLRPC for anything. There
is no linkage problems for writing perl, java, c, c++
tools that use XMLRPC.

One of the better XMLRPC libs that I used at work is
from apache, under the apache license. The perl
frontier lib is under the PAL as far as I can
remember. There is also not restrictions on thier use,
just because you link to a GPled server does not mean
your application is gpled.

The same goes for postgres and mysql, the clients are
license neutral. I assue that RPC is the same.

If I misunderstood you, please correct me,
Best regards,
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont