Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:56:36 -0700 (PDT)

I cannot answer this all right now (at work), so here
is the important bit.

> > This is exactly the issue that I have found to be
> in
> > the .NET framework with the compiler interfaces. I
> > brought this issue up on the mono list when
> someone
> > was asking if they can embed the compiler into a
> > non-free, or at least non-GPL program.
>
> The problem does not exists there as mono's CodeDom
> will
> prolly be X11 licensed (like their libs) .......

Even if it was LGPL, and if it was DotGNU.

Here is the €1,000,000 Question :

How can anyone provide the important part of providing
the parse trees to implement
"System.CodeDOM.Compiler.ICodeParser" from inside of
LGPL/X11 license without reimplemented the GPLed
parser code?

That means the LGPLed/X11 code would have to provide
services available under the GPL.
Or they will have to link to and invoke gpled code,
therefore making it GPLed.

Miguel says they can run the gpl code in a separate
server and publish the interface across to any user.

He writes here :
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-May/005846.html
"MCS might be used though to implement this beast if
we choose to, and in
that case, we will probably package the compiler as a
component that can
run on its own AppDomain, allowing for the GPL code to
be running side
by side with proprietary code."

let me be provokative about this :
You dont need to use rpc and the network interfaces,
you just need dotnet to get around the GPL.

How does the DotGnu team plan on handling this one?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont