[DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:04:34 -0700 (PDT)

Seth,
See my answers below.
Mike
> This is an implication of the application server
> framework,

Yes, but also of dynamic linking.

> not so much XML/etc.  For instance the REST people
> are very
> dedicated to the end-to-end principle along with XML
> (though
> this is not to say that the end-to-end principle
> substitutes
> for a dependable strategy to assure freedom).
The REST people, who are they?
Ahhh... this simple webservices via URLs....

> People who
> access remote web services only get data, not
> applications.
But they can create derived products.

An example scenario,
"Oh why write a c++ parser, we just send the code
(data) and get back a parse tree (data)"

> So they end up in a position of saying, what do I
> need code
> for, anyway?  The application server model is very
> well
> designed to make people into *consumers* of
> "information
> services," not to encourage people to build and
> maintain
> their own servers.
Untill they build brokers, meta servers, better
clients, routers, gateway.....

>  It also leads people to the
> standpoint
> of not even loading applications on their local
> machines.
True.

> This is actually why the proprietary camp sees so
> much going
> for them in the web services arena, why Yahoo, etc.
> are
> moving to block interoperation the way they are.
I am getting upset with yahoo.. I have gotten some
HTML parser to get my mail off of yahoo mail because
they want money for the POP!

Regards,
Mike

=====